13 May 2007

More fun at work

I am still with the fours, so I am starting our "happy heart" thing tomorrow.

Current projects we are working on:
Reading with group one (Abs, Han, Na, and Core)
Happy hearts


Happy hearts:
What is happy hearts? Happy hearts is training children in the idea that they can be happy while they don't always win. It teaches children to be happy for others, as well as teaching children to be obedient.

The main reason I created this programme was so I can stop the stupid fits my fours throw for no reason. I have a few children who just think they can do and do and do with no consciquences. Tomorrow that all stops.

How I'm doing the programme:
I've thought long and hard about this programme, about how to go about it without killing the children's natural spirit. I have decided on this. I have created each child a heart, daily they will get a new heart. Every teacher in the building has a right to take a piece of their heart. This is only done when they get placed in time out, when they throw a fit, when they refuse to obey, and the likes. They can taek a piece no larger then the bit of their pinky nail, but it's a piece none the less. The children's goals is to go the whole day without losing a piece of their heart.
At the end of the week, the children's hearts will be looked at. If there is a steady increase, they will surely know it. If not, they won't. I am thinking of making the weekly prize the ability to choose the class activity.

What I hope to accomplish:
I hope to have the children understand and trust me. I will never ask them to do anything that will put them in danger. I will never harm them intentionally and I will NEVER ask them to do something for no reason. Every time I ask them to sit correctly, I have a reason. Every time I ask them to listen, it is for a reason. I want them to understand that.
Also, I want them to learn to be happy for someone else when they win. We already have a "happy heart" moment, that when someone else wins, they say "congrats" to them and most of them give eachother a hug. But we also have the person who wins tell the group "thank you" and "Congrats for your trying!" I want the kids, especially Abs, to understand that it is okay if you didn't win to be happy. It is not the end all be all if you do not win. I hope this works.

Hopefully I can implement this without too much parental anger. This is a big thing I am working on, huge thing!


Regardless, tomorrow should be fun.

No comments: