so, I'm going crazy.
I vow right now to NOT be a daycare annoyed parent. I'm all for putting my children in daycare after we have bonded (A huge part of adoption) but I swear I will not be one of those parents who thinks every teacher is a pedofile and ever scratch was caused with Malicious harm.
Children fall and go boom. We as teachers try to teach the kids to just getu p, asses the damage and move on if it's not too bad. We do NOT stop whatever we are doing for every single bump on the floor. I teach twos for heavens sake. They are CLUMSY at two. Children by NATURE are clumsy, most of the time coinciding with a growth spurt! It's not my fault your kids likes to fall down!
I got 20 questions this morning from a parent who saw that I did not run immediately to the aide of a fallen 2 year old. This girl has GIANTS for parents, so she is constantly in a growth spurt to keep up with her family size. She's two and already taller than some of the 4 yr olds. She, and we, are very used to her falling. This morning she bit the big one, fell over her own feet and landed hard on the tile. She whimpered a little, and I was watching her to aide if I needed too. She merely whimpered a second, got up, raised her pant leg, looked at her knee, saw no blood or scrape, "dusted" it off and went about playing. She was limping a bit, but she hit HARD on the floor. I settled back into playing with a younger two who needs a lot of one on one interaction, thinking nothing more of it. Had she cried, had she come over to me complaining of pain, I'd have "kissed" the boo boo away and made sure she was okay. But as a rule in our room, she abided by the no whining. I was actually VERY proud of her (these are steps we have been working hard on her with for almost a year now). This mother, who's child this wasn't, came charging over to me, demanding me to explain to her why I was so lazy, how I could let a child "cry out" with no coddling. I was dumbtruck. I explained that we teach the children to asses their own hurts, and if they feel they need our attention, of course we will give it to them. We aren't cold hearted bitches, after all. She was all demanding in my face about how I need to make sure the girl was alright, so I hollered across "Huckle, you okay?" (Huckle is the girls parent given nickname). She replied with a giggle "uhuh!" and went back to her dishes. Well this wasn't good enough for this parent. She went over and tried to coddle the non screaming, non hurting child. Well ofcourse huckle bucked up to her, pushed her away, she didn't know this woman. Well that concluded to this psychotic mother that we weren't showing the kids enough love. It's like, h ello lady, I am with these childrne 9+ hours a day, don't TELL me I'm not showing a child enough love when they get free hugs and kisses (on the cheek or forehead) whenever they want... but we don't FORCE them to take the affection... that is their personal right to refuse it.
Regardless, this woman in a matter of two hours had toldmy supervisor, told all the teachers, that B and I were HORRIBLE teachers to the children, and promptly pulled her child from the daycare. Good Riddence is all I can say.
Needless to say, I'm home on break (trying to get PT figured out for my knee finally) and I'm STILL cranky about this morning. Makes me wanna smack people.
So yeah, my days been pretty dang crappy so far... our children are INSANE! EVERYONE, children, teachers and parents alike, are in whiney moods... and we just... ugh!
Time to call a few more PT places and see if they have any openings.
Adieu
05 February 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I totally agree. I got fired from a nanny position once because their daughter got a totally minor, barely visible bruise on her forehead.
Somehow all of my kids were raised with bumps and bruises and they are all fine.
Sorry you had such a rough day. I have learned such great respect for daycare workers lately. We have a few ladies at work that have their kids in daycare and I'm happy to hear about the things that the daycare people do for their children and how much love they do show. You all care for these kids so much. You shouldn't have been treated that way.
I'm gald she left the daycare.
Post a Comment